Subject: Re: MACE Questions
To: Stefan Arentz <stefan.arentz@luna.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/1997 19:43:56
On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Stefan Arentz wrote:
> My 660AV uses a Am79C950 chip. I couldn't find that part number on
> AMD's website, so I'm wondering if it's compatible with the Am97C940
> for which you can download documentation.

Hmm... how do you figure that? I thought the 660av used a custom Curio
chip, with SCSI, serial, and ethernet in one package. All of
the Apple documentation refers to the ethernet part as the MACE chip; I've
never seen an actual part number. In any case, whatever you have should be
compatible with the 97c940...

> Is 'am*' a good name for this driver?

Sounds fine to me :) I don't know how driver names are chosen though... I
guess as long as nothing else uses that name, you should be fine...

> After spending some time in Macsbug and ResEdit I found the IO base
> address of the chip. How do I read and write to it's registers? The
> same way you access normal memory?

You should use the bus_space_* functions to do it; man bus_space_read_1
for example.

BTW, I've been working on a MACE driver too... haven't gotten very far yet
though; been trying to figure out how the PSC works. Linux/pmac's driver
isn't at all helpful, since the PowerMacs use a DBDMA controller instead.
I got the driver to send an ARP packet during ifconfig though :)
If you'd like, I can send you the source I have so far.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++