Subject: Re: MkLinux DR2.1 update 5
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/24/1997 22:39:39
On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> > I thought they distributed source for all of mkLinux?
>
> For some reason, I don't think that they include source for their Booter.
> I know that they distribute complete microkernel source, and of course
> they _must_ distribute source for the Linux kernel...
>
> Fortunately, the microkernel sources are not under GPL :-)

Amen to that!

> > > I'd like to see audio support and HFS support, myself.
> >
> > Paul and I hacked on one of the hfs modules, and got it close to working
> > (there was a buffer cache problem). Right now, I think a better way to
> > get hfs support would be Paul Hargrove's hfsfs module, which unfortunatly
> > is GPL'd. I've had lunch a few times w/ Paul, and he'd rather not remove
> > the GPL. The problem is that he received non-trivial help from a MacOS
> > simulator company (he got to read their source), and they asked him
> > to keep it GPL'd. There's a one-word reason: Microsoft. :-)
> >
> > I think our best bet is either use the h* utilities, or get hfsfs
> > working, and just keep it an lkm.
>
> Well, maybe in a few years when my kernel hacking abilities improve a
> little, I'll have time to clean room it ;-)  Ah, what duplication of
> effort...I was just reading about the latest updates to MacLinux (the
> mac68k Linux project) and it's a shame to see people struggling so hard
> with stuff we've had for several years now...but that's licensing for you.

Any idea who originally wrote linux's hfsfs?  What is (are) the opinion(s)
of the author(s) with regard to NetBSD-mac68k?  According to the GPL...

  10. If you wish to incorporate parts of the Program into other free
programs whose distribution conditions are different, write to the author
to ask for permission.

(additional info about when FSF grants permission snipped)

Paul Hargrove maintains it, and may have written it.  I'm not sure.