Subject: Re: Strange installation problems.
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@law.roc.servtech.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/1997 16:06:42
On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Brad Salai wrote:

.. I think this one is a gotcha that should be handled in a more helpful
.. way. At least have the error msg point out the _new_ line in rc.conf. It
.. hasn't alwaysa been there, and users who don't muck around in rc.conf
.. all the time don't have any reason to suspect that it exists.

For people running release versions the whole notion of rc.conf is
an invention to be released in 1.3.

The reason to stop the multi user boot is that a non-configured machine
should not be allowed to start with an uncontrolled set of services
enabled -- in particular security related services, e.g. IP filtering.

..
.. It may be a good thing not to continue, but if you are going to dump
.. users into the water, toss  em a line when you do it.

Agree !! -- actually I think that you have won the right to send a PR
requesting a more indicative error message from /etc/rc when rc.conf
does not say that it is really configured :-)

.. > >I have no idea what happened, and I edited /etc/rc.conf to fit my needs
.. > >but it STILL said it wasn't setup. Any ideas as to what is going on
.. >
.. > Did you set rc_configured=YES in rc.conf?

regards
Erik Bertelsen