Subject: Re: Boot problem
To: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/18/1997 19:00:13
Eric Damien Berna wrote:

> I'm trying to setup another Mac IIcx and am having a problem. I'm using the
> 1.2.1 distribution. The computer is attached to my office LAN by Ethernet.
> The LAN is connected to the Internet. I have an IP address for the computer
> and so setting up the network should be easy. Yet as soon as I make all the
> settings shown in the networking HOW-TO, the system starts to freeze on
> boot. It gets as far as "checking quotas:" and then stops. If I muck with
> the networking setups enough that I get an error and the network isn't
> started the rest of the boot process works. If I get the network started,
> the system stops at "checking quotas:"
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Does your ethernet card show up at boot time?  If you're using NetBSD1.2.1
there should be a line that starts with "ae0 at nubus0".  You can do a
'dmesg' to get a look at your boot message.  Does such a line appear?
Also, have you tried to manually configure the interface using ifconfig?
I think the syntax is something like:

ifconfig ae0 inet <netmask> <broadcast>

of something fairly similar (check the man page to be sure).

I hope this helps.

Later.