Subject: Re: Questions
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/1997 16:43:52
On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> Hmmmm....that's kinda weird.  In general, from what I've read, you're
> supposed to have the larger SIMM's in Bank A (the one closer to the
> hard drive, I believe), although this was mainly back when people had a
> lot less memory.  Are you using internal video, or do you have a card?
> If the former, perhaps you're getting some weird mapping problems since
> internal video uses part of Bank A memory.  What speed are you SIMM's?
> (not that this should really matter...)

I switch back and forth from internal to external video, but mostly use
external (nubus).  As I recall, it didn't really _matter_ which ones you
put in which bank from a "will it work" perspective - just from a
performance perspective.

> At any rate, you can always switch the two banks and see (it's not like
> you'll hurt anything unless you statically zap the memory).  And if this
> doesn't work, I'll volunteer to take the extra 16MB off your hands ;-)

Well, if this _does_ work, I've got 4x4MB extra;  if it doesn't work, then
I've got 8x4MB left over.  I'd be willing to donate them to TNF...

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |