Subject: Re: Can't install on IIci.. help!
To: None <hea@ix.netcom.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/12/1997 11:42:05
On Sun, 12 Oct 97 08:28:44 -0000,
#hea <hea@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On 10/12/97, Paul Forgey wrote:
> >After installing successfully on an LC II, I'm now trying to install on
> >a IIci with a 2 GB Seagate Baracude drive.
>
> I think the 2gb drive is the problem.  I tried numerous times with
> various partitioning schemes and nothing worked until I went to a
> 1gb drive instead of a 2gb drive.  I think the NetBSD disk driver
> does not properly address large disk drives.  By the way, it does
> not seem to matter that all the NetBSD stuff is in the lower 1gb of
> the drive.  It just doesn't work with the large drive.

Are you sure about this?  I'm sure there are many users of multi-gig
drives running NetBSD, especially among the i386 users.  And the thing
is, mac68k shares the entire upper layer of SCSI driver with the other
ports.  This upper layer is responsible of SCSI protocol, and the
lower layer provides the upper layer with an abstract model of
"SCSI bus controller". (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Therefore, if NetBSD/mac68k device driver really failed to adderss
large disks, the other ports must have done the same, which is
apparently false.

I think it has something to do with MacOS partitioning schemes, though
I have no idea exactly how it's related.

Ken