Subject: Some beginner's questions
To: 'port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG' <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Sinclair <stefans@centurion.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1997 08:52:22
Hello...
This past week I installed NetBSD 1.2.1 on an LCII, as I had recently
upgraded it by adding a 68882fpu and an Asante 10bT card (previously it
was running OpenBSD, since that would boot OK w/out the fpu). Anyway,
after finally getting everything up and running (well, booting at least
w/ the GENERIC-45 kernel :-) I have a few questions:
1) how can I add new users to the system? Sounds stupid, but I find no
"adduser" command (though the man page is there) and editing the
/etc/group, /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd files by hand is not
working for some strange reason - it tells me my new user name is
invalid :(
2) how does one get ethernet up & running? Is there a FAQ or a how-to or
something on this? I've set up Linux systems w/ ethernet before, but
NetBSD seems to be layed out quite differently and all my attempts so
far to get the LCII on the LAN under NetBSD have been unsuccessful (no
probs in MacOS though, so I know the card is OK)
3) are the X-Windows system binaries broken? I grabbed the latest ones
off of ftp.netbsd.org but X doesn't want to run, complaining of an
unknown symbol "_poll" in libXext.so.6.0. I had X running under OpenBSD
mac68k on this machine earlier in the year using the NetBSD binaries
available at the time; these may have been an older version, though.
4) The latest NetBSD/mac68k Booter does not seem to be able to save the
booting preferences - is this a known bug?

If anyone can get me pointed in the right direction on these things, I'd
be very greatful!
The specifics of this setup are:
MacLCII, 8MB RAM, 16 MHz 68030 w/ 68882 FPU, Asante LC 10bT card; NetBSD
1.2.1 mac68k, but w/ GENERIC-45 kernel, sitting on an external HD (280
MB root/usr partition, 16 MB swap)

Regards,

-Stefan Sinclair

Stefan Sinclair