Subject: Re: Machine Status of Quadra 840AV
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1997 20:40:41
> Onboard Video--partially supported (Michael Zucca seems to have doubts.  I
> have no problems now at 640 X 480 @ 1-bit, but it bombed at the video setup
> before I zapped PRAM.  I have minimal need for video on this machine and
> probably will not experiment much unless he asks me.  I trust the bit about
> zapping PRAM is in the FAQ somewhere.)

Nope. No doubts from me. You can do anything you like in mono right now.

As you may know I'm currently the "intvid guy". I'm putting together color
video drivers for most machines right now and I have done some preliminaries
on the AV but I thought I couldn't access the video controller. Looks like
we can so I can get more work done on the AV driver.

The focus of my work right now is a bug in my non-AV Quadra driver. My main
goals for the first intvid release are to allow on the fly depth switching
and palette manipulation. This will allow folks to run color X. Later
releases will include such goodies as on the fly resolution switching,
VRAM sizing, etc.

Here's my order of work:
Create a universal software video driver API. [Done]
Support Brazil Video, which is IIvx video. [Done]
Support DAFB Video for the non-AV Quadras. [Nearly done]
Support CIVIC Video for AV-Quadras.	   [Early stages]
Support RBV Video for IIsi/IIci		   [Still on paper but easy]
Support for everybody else		   [I've got some notes but no code]

You may ask, why the ordering? It has to do with how accessible those
machines are to me. I would have had the RBV stuff done already but I lost
access to the IIsi I was researching on. I'm looking into borrowing a IIci
from a friend.

I made some tremendous progress recently but I've had to stop to work on
school stuff.

> NuBus Video--should now work as well as any other mac AFAIK.

Should work great now.

> SCSI seems to work fine, but I'm told DMA is not yet supported.

Some day the AV's will tear up some ground on SCSI!

> Booting seems "fragile."  I can't seem to boot into *BSD if I have changed
> configurations that affect PRAM, like turning Appletalk on, or if I use

I think this may be because we're not setting up the memory mapping just
right. We'll get it, it's just a matter of time.

Hey, glad to hear that we got Ethernet going so quickly! That's a problem
that could have been hanging over our heads for months!