Subject: Re: Booting problems
To: None <MELVIN.CHUA@asu.edu>
From: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/03/1997 20:34:56
       Hi Melvin,

>I just aquired netbsd for the macintosh and it would start the boot but
>freeze mid-way.
>The version I have is 1.2.1. I have a Macintosh Quadra 800, 80MB of RAM,
>and 1MB of VRAM. The error message I get are 'kernel jump to zero' and
>sometimes 'address error'. It also says 'Stopped at _Debugger+0x6: unlk a6'.

I fear that your problem is the version: 1.2.1 does not offer support for
the Quadras. Download the latest -current snapshot, as well as the latest
GENERIC kernel, and install those. I'm not 100% sure about the Quadra 800,
but this setup runs fine on my Quadra 650. In case a GENERIC kernel does
not work, try Allen Briggs' Quadra test kernel from
       ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/briggs/netbsd-971002.gz

>I've partitioned my drive with APS Power Tools and have 3 AUX partitions -
>a root, a swap and a eshatology1. I mounted the partitions by typing
>'mount /dev/sd0a/root' for the root and 'mount /dev/sd0b/usr' for the
>usr partitions. That's the only thing that I could have done wrong. I'm
>unsure about how the installer(bsd) recognises which partition is the root,
>since partitioning was done external to this program. There wasn't a
>particular address/pointer that was given during the partitioning/formatting
>process to identify each partition so I could use it when assigning the
>root/usr.

I personally prefer to use a combined root+usr partition instead (does not
waste diskspace). Concerning setting up the drive: some time ago, I wrote
step-by-step instructions on how to set up MacBSD on a ZIP drive; these should
be useful for installing on a normal hard disk as well (drive parameters will
be different, of course). Colin Wood extended it and prepared a formatted
version, which is available on puma.macbsd.com (I forgot the URL, but it
should be easy to find. Otherwise, mail me and I'll send you a copy).

Good luck,

         Nico

--
  Dr. N.J.R. van Eikema Hommes     Computer-Chemie-Centrum
  hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de       Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg