Subject: Re: IP-NAT problem - out of sync with kernel? And, networking stuff...
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/1997 19:47:19
On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> /root# ipnat -f /etc/nat.rules
> open: No such file or directory
> /root# ipnat -l
> open: No such file or directory
> /root# ipnat
> open: No such file or directory

Make sure you have an up-to-date /dev/MAKEDEV
(ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/etc/etc.mac68k/MAKEDEV
I think...), then:

cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV ipl

You should end up with /dev/ipl, ipnat, ipstate, and ipauth.

> I'm guessing that there's something wrong here. One possibility is that
> this is happening because I'm running a very new kernel - compiled Thu Sep
> 25 22:03:06 EDT 1997 - but my binaries are from the 07/10/1997 -current
> snapshot. (I made sure that all the networking stuff was turned on when I
> built the kernel, FWIW.)

You'll probably need new ipf, ipnat, etc... binaries too then. IPFilter
was recently upgraded to version 3.2beta5.

> I had hoped to avoid downloading a new set of binaries over my 14.4K modem
> until 1.3 solidifies in December, but I'll do it sooner if it seems likely
> that what I'm experiencing is an out-of-sync ifconfig binary. Alternately,
> I wouldn't mind snagging the -current source for ifconfig and compiling a
> newer version seperately.

If you'd like, I can send you binaries for the IPFilter-related stuff...

> On another note, what's up with sliplogin? I'm not sure precisely what it's
> supposed to do for me... I ended up getting my SLIP connection going by
> running slattach, ifconfig, and route manually, thus ignoring
> /etc/sliphome/slip* entirely.

I dunno about that one... I use PPP between my machines (the ones that
can't do ethernet yet, at least).

> On still again another note, what's the canonical way to have such a link
> established at boot time? Should I stuff slattach, ifconfig, and route into
> the end of rc.local, or is there a prettier way to do it?

Yeah, I guess either rc.local or netstart.local... either's probably
fine...
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++