Subject: Re: current or generic?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/1997 20:40:40

>I think you'll need -current.
>
>> does anyone know whether -current even works on a IIvx? i heard of some
>> machines having backward-compatibility problems.
>
>Please try -current kernels & source. The 1.3 feature freeze is in a
>few weeks, and we need testing. :-)

verdict: GENERICSBC#44 (this is a "GENERIC -current" kernel, right?)
doesn't boot on my machine (IIvx). it freezes just before the part where
it's supposed to blank the screen and type [preserving XXXXX bytes in
netbsd symbol table]. It can't be a memory or setup problem; it boots
GENERICSBC#26 fine and booter 1.10.3b1 has 16MB of RAM allocated to it :-)
I installed the latest tarballs on my machine. i got a lot of "Bad system
call"s when i booted GENERICSBC#26 with it. as a matter of fact, shutdown,
reboot, and halt refused to run. i just sync'ed and hit the restart button
on the front panel :-)
for some reason, fsck now wants arguments (i.e. "fsck" or "fsck -f" won't
fsck the root fs in single user, it displays "usage: blahblahblah"), and my
machine hits single user when that happens. i fsck my disk with no
problems, but then i get getty problems with init on ttye0 if i continue to
boot, so i never get a login and must reboot manually.
(what *DOES* the latest -current run on? :-)
later,
  - a

 Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu
    ----<insert lame quote here>----