Subject: Re: next X question
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/1997 10:14:39
Michael R Zucca wrote:

> > Good, the color X-server doesn't really support color in anything but
> > 8-bit (or rather, it might be the kernel support that's lacking).  I'm
> > rather surprised you could even get X to start in 16-bit mode.  I'm sorry
> > if this isn't stated explicitly anywhere.  I guess I'll have to track it
> > down and add a note :-)
>
> That's really a bug :) The X server should support 16 bit mode and perhaps
> it will in future. 16 Bit mode doesn't require any palette manipulation so
> it has always been possible to run X in 16/24 bit mode (at least once we were
> able to boot in 16 and 24 bit mdoes) even without any fancy intvid code.

Ah, but where's the bug?  In the kernel or the X server?

> > I don't know of any good way to invert the console itself, although I
> > suppose it wouldn't be all that hard to find the appropriate code in the
> > kernel and muck with it.  If you want inverse video on a console-like
> > screen, try 'dt'.  It has a compile-time option to do inverse video.  Keep
> > in mind that it can only handle 1-bit video at the moment, tho.
>
> I would definately recommend dt since it uses more efficient blitter code
> and does a bunch of things the console coudln't dream of. I think alot of
> newbies don't know about dt. We should really put that in a FAQ or something.

I think that it is in there somewhere, I know that there are probably
quite a few references to it, anyway.  Back when I started running NetBSD,
it was pretty much necessary (no X, and my machine had the scrolling ADB
problem, so the console was pretty much useless for me ;-)

> > Btw, the reason that the console is white on black at higher bit depths is
> > that white maps to 0 at higher depths, black does so at lower depths (or
> > at least I think it's something like that :-)
>
> Yep. Fixed modes work just like that.

:-)

Later.