Subject: Re: ethernet setup
To: shascal <shascal@siue.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/1997 10:40:29
shascal wrote:

> Assuming your /etc/rc.conf, /etc/hosts, & /etc/resolv.conf are configured
> properly for your site, you just need to configure your ethernet
> interface. Your ethernet interface will depend on what kind of ethernet
> card you have. I have a Quadra 650, which uses the onboard sonic ethernet
> adapter. When NetBSD boots up, the system information that scrolls past
> includes the line...
>
> sn0 at obio0 address 08:00:07:46:01:21
>
> ...which tells me how the system is seeing my ethernet card. The address
> part is my unique ethernet address. To find out more about the various
> ethernet interfaces NetBSD supports, type 'apropos ethernet' at the
> command prompt to get a list of man pages to read. To configure the card
> with an IP address, I type...
>
> ifconfig sn0 130.38.103.88
>
> ..., which I have since tacked on to the end of my /etc/netstart file to
> make sure it happens automatically at boot.

Ummm...the proper way to do this is to create either /etc/hostname.sn0 or
/etc/ifconfig.sn0, depending on how old your config files are.  If you
look at /etc/netstart, it should tell you which it is looking for.  If
you're using the older (hostname.sn0) style, there is a howto on puma
discussing how a MacOS ethernet setup maps to a NetBSD ethernet setup.  If
you're using the newer (ifconfig.sn0) style, you simply put the arguments
to ifconfig in the file.  At boot time, /etc/netstart will automatically
configure every interface it can find which has an
/etc/{hostname,ifconfig}.{ae,sn}[0-9] file.  Wow, what mess :-)

I hope this helps.

Later.