Subject: Re: next X question
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/1997 13:06:58
> Good, the color X-server doesn't really support color in anything but
> 8-bit (or rather, it might be the kernel support that's lacking).  I'm
> rather surprised you could even get X to start in 16-bit mode.  I'm sorry
> if this isn't stated explicitly anywhere.  I guess I'll have to track it
> down and add a note :-)

That's really a bug :) The X server should support 16 bit mode and perhaps
it will in future. 16 Bit mode doesn't require any palette manipulation so
it has always been possible to run X in 16/24 bit mode (at least once we were
able to boot in 16 and 24 bit mdoes) even without any fancy intvid code.

> I don't know of any good way to invert the console itself, although I
> suppose it wouldn't be all that hard to find the appropriate code in the
> kernel and muck with it.  If you want inverse video on a console-like
> screen, try 'dt'.  It has a compile-time option to do inverse video.  Keep
> in mind that it can only handle 1-bit video at the moment, tho.

I would definately recommend dt since it uses more efficient blitter code
and does a bunch of things the console coudln't dream of. I think alot of
newbies don't know about dt. We should really put that in a FAQ or something.

> Btw, the reason that the console is white on black at higher bit depths is
> that white maps to 0 at higher depths, black does so at lower depths (or
> at least I think it's something like that :-)

Yep. Fixed modes work just like that.