Subject: Re: Emacs port
To: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/27/1997 21:17:37
On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Rodney M. Hopkins wrote:
> As far as I can tell the problem is that the install script attempts to run
> strip on rcs2log and vcdiff, which generates an error because rcs2log and
> vcdiff aren't program executables, they're shell scripts.  The error then
> seems to cause gmake to fail and the install in general to fail.

Hmm... any particular reason you're trying to use the FreeBSD stuff? I
just downloaded the distribution from prep.ai.mit.edu, untarred, ran
configure, then gmake, and everything worked without a hitch. Emacs 19.34,
20.2, and some older version that I forget, probably 19.31.

Anyways, I don't know how the FreeBSD ports thing has stuff setup, but try
looking for a lib-src/Makefile. If there's an INSTALL_STRIP = -s or
something like that, change it to be INSTALL_STRIP =

Then try gmake install again... good luck!
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++