Subject: Re: A couple of issues
To: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/1997 09:59:49
nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:

> Larry E Kollar proposed:
> > Second, thanks for all the "shutdown" info.  I was looking for an
> > equivalent to selecting "Shut Down" from the Finder; "shutdown -h now"
> > doesn't quite do that.  So I guess I have to boot back into the MacOS
> > then do the shutdown from there.  Oh well.
>
> Colin Wood asked:
> >Uh....what's different?  When I do 'shutdown -h now' on my IIci, it pretty
> >much shuts down then.  Even on my SE/30, it tells me it's ok to turn off
> >the machine :-)
>

> Steven R. Allen stated:
> > Same for my Mac II and C610, respectively.
>
> 	The Mac II is capable of switching itself off. A really nice
> kernel would actually power-down the Mac and monitor after 'shutdown -h'
> on machines which could do it, and put up the little "safe to switch off"
> message on all the others (SE/30, LC, LCII, LCIII, LC475, C610, Q610)
>
> 	To ask Larry's implicit question, though, the Mac is safe to
> power down after a 'shutdown -h'. This isn't intuitively obvious how to,
> though, if you are used to powering the Mac up via the keyboard. So;
>
> On a Quadra 700/900/950, turn the key to '0'.
>
> On a Quadra 800s, press and hold the button on the front.
>
> On a IIci/IIsi/ C650/Q650, press the little button on the back.
>
> (Sorry, not sure about the IIcx)

Once again, I don't get it....on all of these machines, none of this
should be necessary.  Under NetBSD, if you have a softpower machine (i.e.
a II-series Mac or the tower Quadras, I believe), when you do a
'shutdown -h now' it should powerdown the machine.  It certainly does so
on my machine.  On non-softpower Mac's (i.e. the Classic style Mac's,
LC's, and pizza-box Quadra's), NetBSD _will_ put up a notice that it is
safe to switch off the machine.

If you're machine(s) is/are not doing this, then you've found a bug
(albeit, a somewhat known one).  Please send a PR about it.  However, it
is safe to manually power off a machine even if it has hung during a
'shutdown -h' as long as the disks have finished syncing.  If the disks do
not sync, it might be better to reboot, run fsck, do a 'reboot -n', and
then shutdown from the MacOS.

I hope this clears things up some.

Later.