Subject: Re: Connecting to ethernet/DHCP hell
To: None <PREGMAN1@wit.edu>
From: kaz-k) <kazk@yyy.or.jp (Kazuyoshi Kato>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/1997 22:58:49
> I've been subscribed to this list for over a year under a different
> address, just to let you know that I've some degree of familiarity with
> MacBSD...
>
> ...I have my faithful MacBSD box, a compatible ethernet card, a patch
> cable, and a 10BaseT jack in the wall for me to plug into.  My problems
> boil down to two things:
>
> 1).  I'm not quite sure, software-wise, how to set up ethernet in this
> situation under NetBSD.  I would *assume* I'd just edit /etc/resolv.conf
> and /etc/hostname.ae0, but it can't just be *that* simple...or is it?  :)
> 2).  The network I'd be connected to uses DHCP.  Therefore, I need a DHCP
> client to run under NetBSD.  I have spent the past three weeks in
> mind-crushing frustration trying to get this to work; I've tried three
> different packages and *none* of them will even *begin* to compile for me,
> for various reasons (one of them complains about my /usr/include/net/*.h
> files having "incomplete types", and yes, /sys/types.h is also included).
>
> #2 is really the big problem, and the one with which I *DESPERATELY* need
> help. If anyone has had *any* experience with DHCP and NetBSD, I'm
> *begging* ya to talk to me about this.  :)
>
> Thanks much for your time.

  Try WIDE implement, "wide-dhcp-1.3b" which is available at
<ftp://sh.wide.ad.jp/WIDE/free-ware/dhcp/>, it's included in FreeBSD
distribution as a package, so it's quite easy to port to other BSD
systems as well, I suppose.
  I'll try it later, however on OpenBSD/mac68k, since my NetBSD file
system is collapsed right now...  :-(
  See you.

  -- kaz-k