Subject: Re: A couple of issues
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/1997 16:44:25
Larry E Kollar proposed:
> Second, thanks for all the "shutdown" info.  I was looking for an
> equivalent to selecting "Shut Down" from the Finder; "shutdown -h now"
> doesn't quite do that.  So I guess I have to boot back into the MacOS
> then do the shutdown from there.  Oh well.

Colin Wood asked:
>Uh....what's different?  When I do 'shutdown -h now' on my IIci, it pretty
>much shuts down then.  Even on my SE/30, it tells me it's ok to turn off
>the machine :-)

Steven R. Allen stated:
> Same for my Mac II and C610, respectively.

	The Mac II is capable of switching itself off. A really nice
kernel would actually power-down the Mac and monitor after 'shutdown -h'
on machines which could do it, and put up the little "safe to switch off"
message on all the others (SE/30, LC, LCII, LCIII, LC475, C610, Q610)

	To ask Larry's implicit question, though, the Mac is safe to
power down after a 'shutdown -h'. This isn't intuitively obvious how to,
though, if you are used to powering the Mac up via the keyboard. So;

On a Quadra 700/900/950, turn the key to '0'.

On a Quadra 800s, press and hold the button on the front.

On a IIci/IIsi/ C650/Q650, press the little button on the back.

(Sorry, not sure about the IIcx)

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au |"People say I'm strange, does it  |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  | make me a stranger?              |