Subject: Re: X questions, SLiRP v. SLIP/IP-NAT question
To: None <smelly@spy.net>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/1997 20:28:43
>No, that's *got* to be impossible, you must be reading something wrong
>or *SOMETHING*.  The X server's binary size isn't even half that, so it
>can't take up that much memory.  My X server (XF86_SVGA) is under 3MB
>and it's *NOT* stripped.  You're reading something wrong or something..

He was talking runtime usage, not executable size.  For example,
on my i386 system, I see:

bass[144]: ps axl
  UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT TT       TIME COMMAND
    0  1856  1855   4   2  0  5320  916 select S    ??   77:03.68 X :0

bass[145]: size /usr/X11/bin/X
text    data    bss     dec     hex
2424832 122880  49604   2597316 27a1c4

So that's about 5 megs of server size but 2.4 Megs of executable.
And I'm running only one copy of netscape, 3 xterms and ctwm.  Also,
I'm using only 800x600 real and 1024x1024 virtual.  Once you add more
netscapes and other graphics programs (Applixware) and a few more xterms
and higher resolution, I'm sure my X server would increase in size
by quite a bit.  So the size mentioned (35 Meg) is not impossible.

In fact, I just looked at my X server on my NetBSD/sparc and it was
running 16 Megs and the executable size is 300k smaller than the i386
version.  And all I have is a few more xterms and no more graphics windows
up.

--
Phil Nelson                    NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu        LPF: http://www.lpf.org