Subject: Re: GhostScript - Options Exhausted?
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/1997 16:05:54
On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 ADAMGOOD@delphi.com wrote:
> I went to the Aladdin site and got the source code for gs3.33.  I
> figured out how to build it for machines that don't have FPUs, and
> I compiled it.  It gave me the same nothing results.

The latest is 5.03, btw... I've got a NetBSD-current (1.2G) binary if you,
or anyone else wants it. It probably won't work with NetBSD-1.2.1 though.

> All the results by the way, apply to attempts to both render a
> picture (like the examples that gs comes with), and input given
> directly to the gs interpreter (like giving the commands to make
> it print "hello" in its window).

I'm still not sure how you're running ghostscript and exactly what you're
seeing/not seeing. Does gs print its copyright message, give you a prompt,
and look like it's doing stuff, but it never displays anything in its
window? When you start gs, you should get something like this in your
xterm window:

% gs
Aladdin Ghostscript 5.03 (1997-8-8)
Copyright (C) 1997 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.

Then try giving it some commands:
This should print the word "testing" in your xterm window, not the
ghostscript window:

GS>(testing) =
testing

This should draw a black square in the ghostscript window:
GS>30 700 moveto 200 0 rlineto 0 -200 rlineto -200 0 rlineto closepath fill

By the way, the "GS>" part is the ghostscript prompt, not part of the
command.

If everything works except for the black square, then I don't know what
the problem is.. What does "gs -h" show?

If nothing works, then something's still messed up with your ghostscript
installation.