Subject: Re: Where to find 091397 kernel sources?
To: None <PREGMAN1@wit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/1997 10:02:39
PREGMAN1@wit.edu wrote:

> Sorry for the stupid question, but I need to locate the kernel sources
> from September 13 (well, 12 actually) and can't seem to find them; are
> they no longer available?

Probably not.  NetBSD-current tends to be a rather swiftly moving target
:-)  Basically, the source tarballs and the unarchived source tree on
ftp.netbsd.org are updated every day from the CVS source tree.  This means
that unless you explicitly grab a source tarball on the day in question,
it will get overwritten with a more -current one the next day.  So, unless
someone still have Sept 13 ksrc sitting around somewhere, you're out of
luck on this part.

> The reason I ask is that I need to compile a semi-custom kernel that will
> match my 091397 -current tarballs, FWIW.

Fortunately, as fast a moving target as NetBSD-current is, it usually
doesn't move so quickly that 1 week or a little more will break
compatibility with binaries.  I find that I can usually run a kernel that
is as much as 2 months out of sync with my binaries...of course YMMV.  So,
if you were to grab today's sys.tar.gz and build a kernel from it, you'd
probably be ok.

However, if you're that worried about it, I believe that Steve Allen
uploaded a new binary distribution within the past couple of days.  You
might want to grab the base distribution from that if you run into
problems.

I hope this helps.

Later.