Subject: Re: Ghostscript - HELP!!!
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/23/1997 13:12:55
Michael R Zucca wrote:

> > What version of Ghostscript are you using?  Have you tried the version
> > that I think is still on puma?  Perhaps whatever version you are using has
> > a few bugs in it...
>
> I'm running Ghostscript sucessfully on my IIvx. All I did was download
> the ghostscript and enscript stuff from the NetBSD-Amiga contrib directory
> on NetBSD.org, installed the lpstyl stuff, and added the right printcap
> entry. Heck, I've even got the thing running as a postscript printer over
> Appletalk!
>
> The trick with those Amiga packages seems to be to untar them in / and then
> go in to /usr/local/N/install where N is the name of the package and run
> the install script. Everything goes where it's supposed to and runs great.
>
> This is still kind of crude, though. When I install software for NetBSD I
> long for the flexibility of RedHat RPM packages that I enjoy under linux-pmac.

We should have a working package system before too long.  Someone is
working on integrating the FreeBSD package system into NetBSD (although I
can't quite remember who at the moment, maybe Alistair Crooks).

> > Hopefully, this problem will be fixed before the 1.3 release.  This is
> > probably the same problem that a number of other people have remarked on,
> > namely that the intvid code that Michael Zucca developed is no longer in
> > the -current source tree.
>
> Well, as I said, I think the intvid table that Scott added recently should
> fix this problem. However, I don't think it does the full range of patches
> I put in, namely skipping the NuBus probing and faking a serial boot
> (which has some kind of weird memory mapping effect). I also don't think
> that most -current kernels are compiled with Takashi's PowerManager code
> in them even though the kernel option exists.
>
> Perhaps if you get a -current with the PM option on, it just might boot.

I don't think that there is a separate PM option, just the MRG_ADB option.
So, for any kernel compiled without that option, it should have PM support
in it automatically.  Once John's latest ADB code is integrated, I think
that pretty much every machine will have working ADB (well, except for the
screwy ones like the IIfx and maybe the Q900-series Macs).

Maybe Steve can make a HWDIRECT version of his kernels when he uploads
them???? (if it's not too much trouble, that is...)

Later.