Subject: Re: Color video LKM and -current system
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/22/1997 18:00:56
> > no clue what I'm doing with ld, so needless to say it hasn't helped.  I
> > did notice a caveat on the FAQ page which basically states that the LKM
> > *may* not work with -current setups, and *definitely* will not compile
> > under them (I can personally attest to both).  My question, basically,
> > is this:  what are my options here (and no, "don't run X in color" is
> > not acceptable :>), and what can I do about it?  I'm sure at *least*
> > one other person has run into this dilemma, given the popularity of
> > both the colorkit and of -current.  Thanks.
>
> Yeah, the symbol that causes the problem is now a static variable so it
> doesn't show up in the symbol table anymore :-(  And due to extensive
> changes in the nubus code, the colorkit LKM doesn't recompile under
> -current sources.  However, I've managed to hack together a patch to get
> around this problem.  Please try the patches at the end of this message
> and let me know how it goes.

You shouldn't need the lkm anymore. Paul Goyette's (sp?) SLOTMAN kernels
should work on a wider variety of card than the colorkit and will
eventually become part of the official kernel.

When I get the intvid code done I think we can finally look forward to a day
when color support is a standard feature.