Subject: Re: DaynaPORT E/II(St.)
To: Luca Falzoni <falzoni@jetai.unipv.it>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/22/1997 09:45:19
Luca Falzoni wrote:

> Hi all, I have a IIcx and a DaynaPORT E/II(St.) ethernet card (not
> mentioned in the working ethernet page).

This is b/c no one has told me whether or not one works, yet :-)

> I'd like to run NetBSD and ethernet is essential.
>
> The documentation says that the DaynaPORT E/II(St.) has not a sonic chip.

Can you look on the card and see what kind of chip it is?  There should be
at least 1 fairly large chip on the card.  Hopefully, it'll have something
like DP8390 or perhaps DP83902V on it.  Either way, if your card is not
recognized right off, it might be fairly easy to get working.

> Someone is using this card ?  I have a 1.2.1 distribution (working on my
> PB160).
> Is this the best choice or should I download -current ?

This should work, provided that you have an 8390-based card.

> Sorry to bother you, but before erasing my full 40M HD or buying another
> one, I would know if I have a chance.

Your best bet is to just get a copy of the latest Booter, and then get a
bunch of kernels that you would like to try.  There are directions in the
FAQ for how to boot a kernel from the MacOS (although it's just a matter
of choosing the proper settings in the Booter).  Make sure that you gunzip
and untar the kernel files before trying to boot, tho (although I seem to
remember that the Booter might handle gzipped kernels, I don't think it
will handle tarred kernels).  If you can get one of these kernels to
successfully boot your machine (the easy part) and recognize your ethernet
card (possibly not so easy), you can decide which version of NetBSD to
install.

If your card does work under 1.2.1 or some -current kernel, please let me
know!

Later.