Subject: Re: IIcx
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/22/1997 10:56:23
On Sun, 21 Sep 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:

> i just bought myself a IIcx for $50.  came with a "high resolution display
> video card" (nubus, of course). is this compatilble with color X? does
> anyone have any idea what resolution it goes up to? i only have a 640x480
> monitor now. it also came with some flavor of asante ethernet card (8390),
> which i probably could get working with some help :-P

The video card is probably the Toby buffer frame card.  It should work
with color X.  Mine does on my IIcx.  Also, the Asante ethernet card
should work.  Mine does on my IIcx.

> any testing needed? :-)
>
> the machine came with a 1.44MB floppy, and i assume that means it has a
> PMMU...right?

Right.

> regarding the IIcx, i just tried booting MacOS 7.6 on it, and i got the
> chimes of death. the installer program also said it could not install on
> the computer. what does my IIcx not have hardware-wise?

As mentioned by others, 7.5.5 is where it ends for IIcx users.

> i also thought system enabler 001 let the mac boot off 7.1 (the machine
> came with 7.5network access diskette installed on the hard drive), but i
> got the same "system disk too old" message. did i do something incorrectly?

Try using 7.1 with NO system enablers.  It should work.  Personally, I use
7.0.1 on my IIcx.

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/