Subject: Re: Telnet as Root?
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/21/1997 20:50:53
ADAMGOOD@delphi.com wrote:

Sorry, I don't know anything about ghostscript :-(

> Why can't I telnet into my mac as root?  When I try, it says:
>
> myname# telnet 153.35.235.220
> Trying 153.35.235.220...
> Connected to 1Cust92.max5.san-francisco.ca.ms.uu.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
>
> NetBSD/mac68k (myname.my.domain) (ttyp5)
>
> login: toor
> toor login refused on this terminal.
> login:
>
> Of course this happens on all the ptys.  I can also just login to my normal
> account and su to root.
>
> Can this be fixed, so that I can telnet to the mac as root?
>
> Thanks for any tips.

This is a security feature.  In general, what you should do is log in as
yourself and then su to root.  It's usually bad form to ever log in as
root.  However, you can always mark all the pty's in /etc/ttys as secure
(like the console itself is).

I hope this helps.

Later.