Subject: Re: IIcx
To: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/21/1997 21:44:55
At 8:12 PM -0500 9/21/97, Rodney M. Hopkins wrote:
>At 08:48 PM 9/21/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>the machine came with a 1.44MB floppy, and i assume that means it has a
>>PMMU...right?
>
>I don't know what the 1.44MB floppy would have to do with the PMMU, but the
>IIcx does come with a PMMU standard.

for certain macs, a FDHD upgrade was offered, and the chip replacement came
with a PMMU upgrade. so any mac II you see that has a FDHD, *should* have a
PMMU installed. they're not dependant on each other, afaik.  i thought
IIcx's were included...guess not.  maybe i'm thinking of IIx's.

>>regarding the IIcx, i just tried booting MacOS 7.6 on it, and i got the
>>chimes of death. the installer program also said it could not install on
>>the computer. what does my IIcx not have hardware-wise?
>
>I'm not much of a Mac expert, but I know that the Mac IIcx will not run
>MacOS 7.6.  Apple changed MacOS at version 7.6 so it requires a 68030
>processor (which your machine does have) and it will only run on machines
>that are have 32-bit clean ROMs.  The IIcx, SE, SE/30, II, IIx, 128k, 512k,
>Plus, Classic and probably a couple of other machines I'm forgetting are
>not 32-bit clean (and some of the above list don't have a 68030) and so
>won't run any MacOS higher than 7.5.5.

okay. i got the same result even after installing Mode32, which led me to
find out what was up.

so how *do* i boot an old version of the system on this thing? i'm thinking
of taking out the battery from the board for a few minutes, but i don't
know if that would do any good. i'm not getting a second startup chime when
i start up with command-option-P-R, either. anyone know why?

thanks,

  - a

 Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu
    ----<insert lame quote here>----