Subject: Re: IIcx
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/21/1997 20:12:49
At 08:48 PM 9/21/97 -0400, you wrote:
>the machine came with a 1.44MB floppy, and i assume that means it has a
>PMMU...right?

I don't know what the 1.44MB floppy would have to do with the PMMU, but the
IIcx does come with a PMMU standard.

>regarding the IIcx, i just tried booting MacOS 7.6 on it, and i got the
>chimes of death. the installer program also said it could not install on
>the computer. what does my IIcx not have hardware-wise?

I'm not much of a Mac expert, but I know that the Mac IIcx will not run
MacOS 7.6.  Apple changed MacOS at version 7.6 so it requires a 68030
processor (which your machine does have) and it will only run on machines
that are have 32-bit clean ROMs.  The IIcx, SE, SE/30, II, IIx, 128k, 512k,
Plus, Classic and probably a couple of other machines I'm forgetting are
not 32-bit clean (and some of the above list don't have a 68030) and so
won't run any MacOS higher than 7.5.5.

Rodney M. Hopkins
rhopkins@sunflower.com