Subject: Re: screwed up fs
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/21/1997 20:47:39
At 12:31 PM -0700 9/21/97, David Brownlee wrote:
>> well, i have another drive. would i be able to install NetBSD on that drive
>> (base121, etc121, netbsd121, whatever else) and fsck the /dev/sd* i'd see
>> as being this drive? i really would like to not lose the information on
>> that drive, considering it has /root /home and /etc :-\
>>
>	That sounds like the best bet. You should be able to get away with
>	just the base121 and the kernel, then boot it single user.
>
>> can the inodes be so f**ed up that the disk would not be able to be fsck'ed
>> from another disk? :-\
>
>	Its _possible_, but hopefully not happened in this case :)

well, after i installed netbsd from on another disk, booted, and fsck'd, my
/etc and /bin never reappeared. oh well. /etc/passwd, /etc/group
/etc/master.passwd and /etc/ppp/* were probably all i cared about.  (i
think - did i forget anything?). probably stuck in that whole pile of
rubbish in /lost+found. i'm going to go through the tedious task making all
the userid's go with the homedir's now....great fun. this is what i get for
not keeping backups. argh.

well, i had netbsd 12 distribution on it before, i'm installing 121 now.

thanks though, :-)

  - a

 Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu
    ----<insert lame quote here>----