Subject: Re: screwed up fs
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/21/1997 15:03:36
At 4:15 PM -0700 9/20/97, Colin Wood wrote:
>Armen Babikyan wrote:
>
>> the power here just screwed up, and my NetBSD system rebooted. except when
>> it rebooted, it didn't want to boot (couldn't read executable stuff on the
>> kernel).
>
>:-(  Not good.....

i figured...

>> i opened up the macbsd installer utility to see why it couldn't read the
>> kernel, and noticed a bunch of "fstat: no such file or directory" by where
>> /etc, /dev, /usr and /netbsd should be. few other too, but i don't know
>> what directories they used to be.
>>
>> i found another kernel i could boot from, and i booted that with no
>> problems, but my kernel hung at something relating to /dev/console missing
>> shortly before the point the machine would have booted into single user. i
>> ctrl-c'ed, and the kernel panic'ed and jumped to zero.
>>
>> so now i have a problem. how do i fsck the disk in macos? :-)
>
>You don't :-(

ah, cool... (btw that would be a really cool feature)

>> i tried recreating devices, but that let to a bunch of mknod and chmod
>> errors in the installer utility. i didn't dare rm -r /dev and mkdir /dev
>> until i heard some other thoughts...anyone?
>
>At the moment, I guess you'd have to go ahead and try this and see if you
>can boot.  However, it's quite possible that you might need to do a
>complete reinstall in order to fully recover, especially if you've munged
>the inodes that make up the directories listed above.

well, i have another drive. would i be able to install NetBSD on that drive
(base121, etc121, netbsd121, whatever else) and fsck the /dev/sd* i'd see
as being this drive? i really would like to not lose the information on
that drive, considering it has /root /home and /etc :-\

can the inodes be so f**ed up that the disk would not be able to be fsck'ed
from another disk? :-\

  - a

 Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu
    ----<insert lame quote here>----