Subject: Re: NetBSD on Apple IIci: Boot failure while 32bit
To: Jeroen Schaap <scnboy@stad.dsl.nl>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/21/1997 01:15:21
Hi,

Your message was forwarded to the port-mac68k mailing list.  It is a very
good list to be on for information about NetBSD on a Macintosh.  Send
e-mail to majordomo@netbsd.org with the following body to subcribe:

   subscribe port-mac68k

Now, on to your problem.

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Jeroen Schaap wrote:

> I can't get through the boot procedure. The kernel panics, complaining
> about the paging method. It suggests I should turn on 32bit adressing
> mode, but the mac is already running in 32bit adressing mode.
>
> I can see two possibilities:
> 1. The kernel can't handle the particular 5 meg i have insstalled. 4 meg
> is no option, howver since the booter will not start with VM.
>
> 2. The Modern Memory Manger is off, according to norton utilities.

Here is your problem.  If the Modern Memory Manger is off, then you are
*not* running in 32-bit mode.  From the Apple menu, select "Control
Panels" and then select "Memory".  There you should be able to turn the
Modern Memory Manger on.  You will have to restart for the change to take
effect.

Hope this helps,

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/