Subject: Re: screwed up fs
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/20/1997 16:15:41
Armen Babikyan wrote:

> the power here just screwed up, and my NetBSD system rebooted. except when
> it rebooted, it didn't want to boot (couldn't read executable stuff on the
> kernel).

:-(  Not good.....

> i opened up the macbsd installer utility to see why it couldn't read the
> kernel, and noticed a bunch of "fstat: no such file or directory" by where
> /etc, /dev, /usr and /netbsd should be. few other too, but i don't know
> what directories they used to be.
>
> i found another kernel i could boot from, and i booted that with no
> problems, but my kernel hung at something relating to /dev/console missing
> shortly before the point the machine would have booted into single user. i
> ctrl-c'ed, and the kernel panic'ed and jumped to zero.
>
> so now i have a problem. how do i fsck the disk in macos? :-)

You don't :-(

> i tried recreating devices, but that let to a bunch of mknod and chmod
> errors in the installer utility. i didn't dare rm -r /dev and mkdir /dev
> until i heard some other thoughts...anyone?

At the moment, I guess you'd have to go ahead and try this and see if you
can boot.  However, it's quite possible that you might need to do a
complete reinstall in order to fully recover, especially if you've munged
the inodes that make up the directories listed above.

Later.