Subject: Good idea/Bad idea?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Brennan <brennan@crashprone.auhs.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/20/1997 12:38:19
   (sorry ... I guess my Animania is showing)

   I'm considering setting up a IIci using IPNAT (and Squid) to act as a
   gateway for 5 other Macs.  Unfortunately, it only hit me a moment ago
   that I'm going to be highly dependent on the serial performance -- so
   I'm starting to think this might not be the best idea I ever had.

   The hardware (for this purpose) is free and perhaps the best I'm able
   to get my hands on, but there is the possibility of using an old 486,
   or even an Amiga 2000 (NetBSD on the Amiga, Linux or FreeBSD if I go
   with the 486).  Any comments/opinions??

   The current situation is *no* Internet access on these systems, so it
   is an improvement no matter what my decision is ... but I don't want
   to pick a sub-optimal approach if we're starting from scratch.

   This IIci is also using an Etherwave card (NuBus?) ... but I think it
   is supported from what I've seen in the FAQ/status pages.

   andrew.  (brennan@auhs.edu)