Subject: Re: (Solved) Re: installation on large IBM drive
To: None <sbrown@best.com>
From: Kent Boortz <kent@erlang.ericsson.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/19/1997 16:19:28
Stephen Brown <sbrown@best.com> wrote:
> It may be that APS PowerTools 4.1 is buggy, but I still think there
> are problems in the installer.  I'm using FWB HardDisk Toolkit to
> create my partitions and it's never been problematic before.  To eliminate
> "Mkfs 1.45" from any of the blame, I formatted using "newfs -O" from
> under "NetBSD/Mac68k".  The partition seems to be created fine and
> seems to be mountable.  However, when I install, it works for a while,
> and then I get errors similar to the ones that you listed ending in an
> error from "alloccgblk()".

Did you get reasonable output from "disklabel sdX"? In my case
the partition table reported was all messed up. Now it reports
the correct partition information.

> Did you change the number or size of the partitions at all when
> you redid the disk??  I seemed to have no problems with a smaller
> partition(100MB), but a 1GB partition install failed.  What size
> are your new partitions??

Yes, I now use smaller partitions. Instead of a > 1 Gb Root&Usr I know
used a separate root with ~50 Mb and a usr with ~500 Mb. So it may be
that smaller partitions was what did it. The screwed up "disklabel"
output and the fact that APS PowerTools finally ruined the whole disk
content lead me to belive the PowerTools software was the cuase, not
the installer. But it was only a guess.

/kgb