Subject: Re: Kernel wants booter 1.11?
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/19/1997 00:15:15
On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Dave Huang wrote:

> I just upgraded my kernel, and now when I boot, I get the following
> message:
>
> You booted with booter version 1.8.
> Booter version 1.11 is necessary to fully support
> this kernel.

Harmless message, unless you are using a miniroot.  (Well, if you're using
a miniroot, the manner in which you are currently doing it is deprecated,
anyway.)  You can safely use new kernels with booter versions 1.9.5 or
later, regardless of the warning message.

As Nigel points out, the booter version passed in has been out of date for
quite some time.  That's one of the reasons the next version of the Booter
is 1.11, not 1.10.3; I wanted to circumvent any potential trouble with a
booter that actually had the version number fixed.

> So where can I find booter 1.11?

I'll generate and upload a binary... you'll notice some interface changes,
but nothing particularly obscure.  You can find it at:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/utils/Booter1.11b1.sea.hqx

The changes from 1.10.3b1 are pretty minor:

	- The option dialogs had cosmetic cleanup done on them; positions
	  of several items were adjusted slightly, and the order of items
	  when tabbing through editable text fields was made consistent.

	- Standalone miniroot files are no longer supported, as they have
	  been obsoleted by in-kernel root filesystems.  As a result of
	  the previous, the `Miniroot' field was deleted from the Boot
	  Options dialog.

	- A new check box was added for the root SCSI ID field:
	  `Enabled?' tells the kernel to construct a boot device cookie
	  based on the root SCSI ID.  This has been the case in the past,
	  and by default this box is checked.  The purpose of this option
	  is to allow systems to boot without a root SCSI ID specified,
	  e.g. using NFS filesystems or in-kernel miniroots.

	- The dialog brought up by `File -> Preferences...' has been
	  moved to `Options -> Startup...', as this is more descriptive
	  of its function.  The dialog itself hasn't changed at all.
	  Consequently, the `Save Options & Preferences' menu item is now
	  simply `Save Options'.

	- The `About ...' dialog's author list has been split into two
	  columns.  It was getting a bit unwieldy.

	- The minimum and preferred memory sizes have been set to 2048K
	  and 5120K, respectively.  In the event that there's not enough
	  memory to boot a particular kernel, the message displayed is a
	  little more explicit about what might be done to resolve this.

If this seems like a lot, trust me, it isn't. :-)  The one thing that I
wanted to get working was outlines around the OK buttons, but that just
didn't fly.  I gave up after working on it for an hour or two...  (sigh).

--scott