Subject: Re: your mail
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/1997 22:48:37
At 05:44 PM 9/16/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Here's about the only recommendation I can make at the moment, and that is
>to really split up you drive some.  You don't need all of it in one
>partition, and for a number of reasons it would be nicer to have it split
>out some.  I'd recommend something like:
>
>50 MB for root (this is more than enough for /etc, /bin, and /sbin)
>100 MB for /var (this is for big log files and crash dumps)
>100 MB for /tmp (unless you use MFS to mount it in swap)
>200 MB for /home (add more if you do development in your home directory)
>200 MB for /usr (this'll more than suffice for just the NetBSD stuff)
>and the remaining to some random partition where you put everything else
>(or maybe you're /usr/ partition should be bigger).
>
>Since you can mount your partitions virtually anywhere in the filesystem,
>feel free to divide it up however you want.  Just keep in mind that you
>only have (a,d?,e,f,g,h) 5-6 partitions to play with under the current
>partition lettering scheme, so this may limit your choices somewhat :-(

Collin, please excuse my ignorance, but I can, thanks to your previous
help, mount /usr in my installer, but I'd like to know how I can mount
/var, /tmp and /home from installer and then do an install?  Is this
possible?  I have partitioned my drive as 16K Driver, 100M MacOS, 100M
Root, 40M Swap, 100M Free AU/X partition, 100M Free AU/X partition, 400M
Free AU/X partition, 400M /Usr partition.  I intend to use the two 100M
free partitions as /tmp and /var and the 400M free partition as /home.
When I get into installer, it doesn't recognize my 3 free AU/X partitions.
It also seems with the driver, the MacOS partition, the 40M swap partition
and the 400M /Usr partition, that right there is 5 partitions.  How can I
use the partitions as I want to, given the limitations of NetBSD's
partitioning scheme?

Thanks,

Rodney M. Hopkins
rhopkins@sunflower.com