Subject: Re: Anyone using a Bernoulli?
To: Nicholas Riley <nriley@tiac.net>
From: Allan 'Norm' Crain <allanc@idea-inc.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/1997 20:33:34
On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Nicholas Riley wrote:

> There's only a 230 MB hard drive on my SE/30, of which 170 MB or so is
> NetBSD. Someone offered to sell me a Bernoulli 90 with 2 cartridges for
> $15. I'm running out of hard disk space, and was hoping I could use the
> cartridges to hold source, X and other non-essential things.  Has anyone
> used a Bernoulli with NetBSD, or have any tips regarding problems I might
> encounter?  I'm assuming some of the discussion I've seen on the list
> regarding using a Zip/Jaz/optical/etc will be relevant here. It's not a
> great investment lost if it doesn't work, though...

I just finished setting up a bernoulli drive for NetBSD.. I haven't gotten it
working quite properly yet though... X doesn't seem to want to work (that
might not be at all related to the Bernoulli) and I get errors about bad
request on sd1 or some such when I boot... But it should be fine for holding
things like the X sources etc. Main problem I had was formatting it for
NetBSD... Had to get it so it was inserted but not mounted (eventually got it
to work by booting with the drive off, then turning it on and inserting the
cartridge. The Mac wasn't expecting it, so it didn't try to mount it and I was
able to format it)
Allan "Norm" Crain |  allanc@idea-inc.com  | http://www.idea-inc.com/~allanc
  "What the hell IS Steve Jobs up to, anyway?(tm)" -- deusx@idea-inc.com