Subject: Re: (Solved) Re: installation on large IBM drive
To: None <kent@erlang.ericsson.se>
From: Stephen Brown <sbrown@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/1997 18:22:35
Hi,

It may be that APS PowerTools 4.1 is buggy, but I still think there
are problems in the installer.  I'm using FWB HardDisk Toolkit to
create my partitions and it's never been problematic before.  To eliminate
"Mkfs 1.45" from any of the blame, I formatted using "newfs -O" from
under "NetBSD/Mac68k".  The partition seems to be created fine and
seems to be mountable.  However, when I install, it works for a while,
and then I get errors similar to the ones that you listed ending in an
error from "alloccgblk()".

Did you change the number or size of the partitions at all when
you redid the disk??  I seemed to have no problems with a smaller
partition(100MB), but a 1GB partition install failed.  What size
are your new partitions??

I did take a look for the more obvious limitations in the "ufs" code
in the installer.  The "daddr_t"(disk address) and "off_t"(file offset)
types are defined as signed long integers(4 bytes) as are a lot of the
other file system related variables.  That should be no problem as it
should support about 2GB(or 2^31).  I'll look for the actual calling
routine that caused the first SCSI read/write error and try to dig up
any clues I can from the variable values at that point.

Steve Brown,
sbrown@best.com