Subject: Re: Question: HWDIRECT and Classic II
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric R. C. Holcomb <erich@wrq.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/1997 09:34:21
Hello,

I read through last evening's mail about the Classic II and lack of
intvidtest in the latest kerneles.  That, no doubt, explains part of my
failure last night.  Hope this information helps -- as a datapoint if
nothing more.

My report:

1) Installed full System 7.0 for Classic II
2) Tried booting with HWDIRECT.356  -- hang in console ("screen dump"
follows)
3) Tried booting with ADBTEST.160 -- hang during boot (sorry, no boot log)

HWDIRECT.356 Kernel

This booted as far as the kernel in the 1.2.1 BASE package. Which is to say
that it got past the point where the boot log closed itself and the video
switched from Mac OS to BSD console.

-----  console info:

[Preserving 313845 bytes of netbsd symbol table]
Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
Getting mapping from MMU.
System RAM: 10452992bytes in 2552 pages.
	Low = 0x0, high = 0x9f8000
 nointernal video at address 0 -- videoaddr is 0xfee09a80.
Done
Bootstrapping the pmap system.
Pmap bootstrapped.
Moving ROMBase from 0x40a00000 to 0x9f9000
Video address 0xfee09a80 -> 0bf9a80.

-----     At this point it hangs.

ADBTEST.160  Kernel

This is the one which is supposed to work with Classic II internal video.
It hanged in the booter (1.10.?).  Sorry, I didn't bring a boot log of this.
 I do know that it was well past the "So I sez...." part and maybe past
"warm and fuzzy" too.

I am not set up for kernel building so please pardon me for wimping out on
making a roll-my-own.  Are there any obvious tricks I seem to be missing?

Thanks!
Eric Holcomb