Subject: Re: Drive Problems (Was Re: your mail)
To: None <crb@Glue.umd.edu, cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Stephen Brown <sbrown@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/1997 02:41:17
Hi all,

I am the current installer maintainer(until someone else really wants
the job).  But, the problem is most of my coding on it has been MacOS
functionality changes(toolbox calls, SCSI read/write changes, multiple
file selection dialog, etc).  The current problem seems to be in the
BSD file system operation code, as near as I can tell.  This code was
ported in a long time back(Pre NetBSD 1.1) and should be updated
anyway.

The good news is that I can easily reproduce the problem.  But, the
bad news is that, as stated above, I really don't know enough about
what I'm looking at yet to debug why it's failing.  The code being
used is old enough that it could have limitations or errors that
have long since been fixed.  The proper fix would be to port the
latest file system format and functions into the installer.  I started
into this at one time late last year and then stalled out due to time
obligations at work.  I will pick it back up if no one else seems to
want to do it.  But, it's not entirely trivial(the new file system uses
64 bit quantities which are not supported by Think C, among other things).

I'm off on vacation next week.  But, I might have time to take another
go at things as soon as I'm back.  If anyone is eager enough for a patch
to the current installer to want to do any coding, the source code is
available at the same places as the application itself.

The only advice I have in the interim is to either use multiple
smaller partitions(seems to work OK), or to use an existing NetBSD/Mac68k
box to format and install the larger partitions(admittedly not an option
for most users).

Steve Brown,
sbrown@best.com

p.s.  The problems fixed in the 1.1e installer were with the SCSI command
	buffer being sent(Switched from the old 6-byte command buffer
	operations to the ones supporting 10-byte command buffer).  So,
	this fixed problems with the NetBSD partition occuring towards the
	high end of the disk(Larger than 1GB addresses supported in the
	low-level read/write operations of the installer).