Subject: Re: Question: HWDIRECT and Classic II
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/17/1997 18:15:40
Colin Wood wrote:

> Patrick Foley wrote:
> >
> > I'm running 1.2.1 on a Classic II and never got the HWDIRECT kernels to
> > work or any of the generic kernels.  From archives of this list I found
> > my way to the older ADBTEST160 kernel which _did_ work (and, again, is
> > the only kernel I have ever gotten to work).  No problems at all with
> > this one.
>
> Could you clarify the "not working" part?  I mean, what exactly didn't
> work?  Did it hang during boot?  If so, where did it hang?  This might be
> a result of the intvid backout several months ago.....

Colin is correct. ADBTEST160 has the old intvidtest code, which supports
internal video on quite a few machines, including the Classic II and
also the LCII/LCIII, I believe.

There was some point where I could no longer get the intvidtest code to
compile into the newer HWDIRECT kernels. Or rather, I could get it to
compile in but it no longer seemed to work, and so I left it out. It may
have been my lack of experience with that part of the kernel code, but
there have been so many changes to the video sections of the code that
the diff from the intvidtest stuff no longer worked. When I tried to put
them in by hand, it would compile, but didn't actually support the
internal video.

So, right now, no kernel that I know of will work on the Classic II if
you want to use the internal video as the display. If you use one of the
serial lines you should be ok.

Once Michael Zucca (no pressure Mike! :-) ) finishes the next rev of the
intvid code, it will most likely go into the official sources, and then
we should see the list of "fully supported" machines jump up several
notches. Until then, many people's only option is to continue to use
ADBTEST.160.

All the HWDIRECT ADB code is part of the official kernel sources. If
someone has the time and inclination, they could sup the -current kernel
source, find the old intvid code diff somewhere and try to get a working
kernel.

Later,
	--John