Subject: Re: Connecting to ethernet/DHCP hell
To: None <PREGMAN1@wit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/17/1997 17:06:08
PREGMAN1@wit.edu wrote:

> I've been subscribed to this list for over a year under a different
> address, just to let you know that I've some degree of familiarity with
> MacBSD...
>
> ...I have my faithful MacBSD box, a compatible ethernet card, a patch
> cable, and a 10BaseT jack in the wall for me to plug into.  My problems
> boil down to two things:
>
> 1).  I'm not quite sure, software-wise, how to set up ethernet in this
>      situation under NetBSD.  I would *assume* I'd just edit /etc/resolv.conf
>      and /etc/hostname.ae0, but it can't just be *that* simple...or is it?  :)

Well, pretty much...depending on what version of NetBSD you're running,
tho, you might need to edit /etc/ifconfig.ae0 instead of hostname.ae0
(check /etc/netstart to be sure).

> 2).  The network I'd be connected to uses DHCP.  Therefore, I need a DHCP
>      client to run under NetBSD.  I have spent the past three weeks in
>      mind-crushing frustration trying to get this to work; I've tried three
>      different packages and *none* of them will even *begin* to compile for me,
>      for various reasons (one of them complains about my /usr/include/net/*.h
>      files having "incomplete types", and yes, /sys/types.h is also included).
>
> #2 is really the big problem, and the one with which I *DESPERATELY* need help.
> If anyone has had *any* experience with DHCP and NetBSD, I'm *begging* ya to
> talk to me about this.  :)

What's wrong with the one that's in the NetBSD tree?  I don't know when it
went in, but there is certainly a dhcp client in NetBSD-current.  I know a
lot of people are using it.  It gets discussed on current-users from time
to time....

I hope this helps some.

Later.