Subject: Connecting to ethernet/DHCP hell
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <PREGMAN1@wit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/17/1997 19:42:21
I've been subscribed to this list for over a year under a different
address, just to let you know that I've some degree of familiarity with
MacBSD...

...I have my faithful MacBSD box, a compatible ethernet card, a patch
cable, and a 10BaseT jack in the wall for me to plug into.  My problems
boil down to two things:

1).  I'm not quite sure, software-wise, how to set up ethernet in this
     situation under NetBSD.  I would *assume* I'd just edit /etc/resolv.conf
     and /etc/hostname.ae0, but it can't just be *that* simple...or is it?  :)
2).  The network I'd be connected to uses DHCP.  Therefore, I need a DHCP
     client to run under NetBSD.  I have spent the past three weeks in
     mind-crushing frustration trying to get this to work; I've tried three
     different packages and *none* of them will even *begin* to compile for me,
     for various reasons (one of them complains about my /usr/include/net/*.h
     files having "incomplete types", and yes, /sys/types.h is also included).

#2 is really the big problem, and the one with which I *DESPERATELY* need help.
If anyone has had *any* experience with DHCP and NetBSD, I'm *begging* ya to
talk to me about this.  :)

Thanks much for your time.