Subject: Re: Drive Problems (Was Re: your mail)
To: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/17/1997 13:07:03
Christopher R. Bowman wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, tcjam wrote:
>
> I didn't think this was the off by one partition problems as I thought
> that had been fixed in the installer that I was using which was
> pretty recent.
>
> > Seconded!  I recently reformated my 2gig quantum with three HFS
> > partitions, NetBSD root&usr/NetBSD swap and had the installer crap out in
> > the same way. I managed to get past it by rearranging the partition map I
> > think but I'd like to see this resolved.

Hmmmm...I thought that the off-by-1 error only pertained to Mkfs.  Rather,
the Installer only sees what's written in the Partition Map.  So, the
Installer might miss the last partition on the disk if there was an error
in the Partition Map (and I believe it _should_ miss the last partition,
else there's a bug in the Installer), but the Installer shouldn't crash or
"crap out" because of this.  The errors that people have been seeing on
these 2GB drives seems to be a bit different.  At the moment, the only
thing that I can see might be having a single root&usr partition larger
than 1G in size...perhaps there is some artificial limit on partition size
in the Installer?  I know that the problems with disk size were fixed in
1.1e, but obviously there must be some other kind of difficulty
here...either that or a 2GB drive is just a strange beast.  I've certainly
never seen these kinds of difficulties on my 3 GB Quantum drive (of course
I only use 1 250MB partition on it, too).

Later.