Subject: Re: syquest spits out... (fwd)
To: r-y-a-n/n-e-l-s-o-n <ryan@inch.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/17/1997 12:23:23
r-y-a-n/n-e-l-s-o-n wrote:

> hi guys... long-time listner, first-time caller... :)
>
> recently installed 1.2 on my girlfriend's IIsi, which went without a
> hitch, so i then installed it *again* onto a partition of a syquest EZ135,
> in the hopes of taking that disk over to a couple of other old macs i have
> at the labs, and booting them up... the IIsi boots great from this setup.
>
> two questions:
>
> when i boot from the macos partition on the syquest, then run the booter,
> it does the "so i sez to him..." thing, then unmounts all the drives,
> which makes the syquest SPIT OUT it's cartridge.  is there anyway to do a
> remount of things so that doesn't happen?  as it stands, i have to be
> sitting there, to flip the "drive lock" lever back down, so it can remount
> the removable really quick.

I believe that there is a way to format the drive so that it appears to be
a true hard disk and not removeable media.  I'm not quite sure how this
works for a SyQuest disk, tho.  Maybe just using a standard SCSI formatter
will work?  If you figure out how, please let me know.

> the other one:  i'm trying to make this cartridge boot an LCII and/or a
> MacII with the 68851 ... did the mac-side utilities note that i was
> installing on IIsi originally, and only put glue in for those roms?  the
> LCII freezes at "so i sez to him..." , and well, the macII has mangled
> ram, so i haven't gotten that far yet.

Uh...you did install 1.2, right?  The LCII wasn't supported by 1.2.  Try
1.2.1 instead (this was the big difference between the two).  Otherwise,
you might be able to boot from a serial console on the LCII...as for the
Mac II...well let us know when you get the RAM problems fixed.

Hope this helps.

Later.