Subject: Re: syquest spits out... (fwd)
To: r-y-a-n/n-e-l-s-o-n <ryan@inch.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/17/1997 13:42:36
On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, r-y-a-n/n-e-l-s-o-n wrote:

> recently installed 1.2 on my girlfriend's IIsi, which went without a
> hitch, so i then installed it *again* onto a partition of a syquest EZ135,
> in the hopes of taking that disk over to a couple of other old macs i have
> at the labs, and booting them up... the IIsi boots great from this setup.
>
> two questions:
>
> when i boot from the macos partition on the syquest, then run the booter,
> it does the "so i sez to him..." thing, then unmounts all the drives,
> which makes the syquest SPIT OUT it's cartridge.  is there anyway to do a
> remount of things so that doesn't happen?  as it stands, i have to be
> sitting there, to flip the "drive lock" lever back down, so it can remount
> the removable really quick.

Try putting the booter and stuff on something other than the EZ135, then
not spinning up the EZ135 until after MacOS is booted (so it won't
automatically mount).  Either that or remove the MacOS partition on the
EZ135 entirely, depending on your situation.

> the other one:  i'm trying to make this cartridge boot an LCII and/or a
> MacII with the 68851 ... did the mac-side utilities note that i was
> installing on IIsi originally, and only put glue in for those roms?  the
> LCII freezes at "so i sez to him..." , and well, the macII has mangled
> ram, so i haven't gotten that far yet.

Hmm... it may be a problem with the version of NetBSD or the version of
the installer.  I'm not sure on that one.  But no, the installer installs
whatever kernel you dl'ed, and the generic kernels are just what they say,
generic to any supported system within limits....

Another thing... are those both in 32 bit addressing mode (or do newer
booters die sooner than that in 24 bit mode...)?  Check that VM is off,
and all the usual FAQ stuff....  Dunno beyond that.  Try a -current
kernel, maybe.

Good luck,
David