Subject: Re: X stuff
To: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/16/1997 18:14:51
well, at least I know a bit about the "turns grey" part - having just
fought this in getting the SLOTMAN stuff working!

Some cards automatically drop into color mode after a pixel-depth change,
other cards drop automatically into color mode.  My E-Machines Futura-SX
is one of those that drops into greyscale.  One needs to add a new ioctl()
call to set it into color mode:

	struct VDPgInfo vdpg = { 0,	/* csMode = 0 for color */
				 0,	/* csData ignored */
				 0,	/* csPage ignored */
				 0}	/* csBaseAddr ignored */
	if ((ret = ioctl(video_fd, GRFIOCSETGRAY, &vdpg) < 0) {
		printf("error in setting color mode\n");
	}

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Adrian Rollett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having a funny problem getting color X running on my IIci - the lkm
> on GENERIC#38 does not seem to work for me, but I grabbed the new SLOTMAN
> kernel, and mono X works just fine - However, when I try to run the 960503
> kernel, it gets to the point of turning the screen grey (true grey, not
> mono) and then dies, saying "could not load default font path
> 'xxxxx/100dpi, xxxxx/75dpi, etc. (where xxxxx is a good path to those
> dirs)' The server then dies, saying it quit because it couldn't find
> default font fixed. (calls it a fatal error)
>
> I am running a IIci with the 1.2G tarballs, an apple 8-bit video card
>
> thanks!
>
> -Adrian

> Adrian Rollett						5425 Forbes Ave.
> Majetich Lab - Carnegie Mellon University 		Pittsburgh, PA
> acrollett@cmu.edu					15217
> Finger for pgp public key etc.|

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |