Subject: Re: LocalTalk
To: Nikolai Vladychevski <niko@netspace.com.mx>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/16/1997 16:56:36
On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Nikolai Vladychevski wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a Local Talk network with my old macs (without ethernet cards) and
> would like to connect them  to the internet trhough my NetBSD box using
> IP Masquerading. Somone here did such thing?
> Since NetBSD doesnt support IP Masq, I would compile ipfiltering to the
> kernel, but how do i connect NetBSD box to LocalTalk?
>
> Thanks
> niko

There are a number of hardware LocalTalk -> Ethernet solutions for
everything from individual computers to networks (like the
StarControllers).  I think the cheapest solution costs like $100 though,
which for old computers is kinda pricey, and you'd be limited to LocalTalk
max throughput (like 24 KB per second) over ethernet.  But it is the
simplest and most certain way.  Farallon makes quite a few of these
products.

--
Nathan Raymond