Subject: Re: X stuff
To: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/16/1997 13:28:50
> I am having a funny problem getting color X running on my IIci - the lkm
> on GENERIC#38 does not seem to work for me, but I grabbed the new SLOTMAN
> kernel, and mono X works just fine - However, when I try to run the 960503
> kernel, it gets to the point of turning the screen grey (true grey, not
> mono) and then dies, saying "could not load default font path
> 'xxxxx/100dpi, xxxxx/75dpi, etc. (where xxxxx is a good path to those
> dirs)' The server then dies, saying it quit because it couldn't find
> default font fixed. (calls it a fatal error)
>
> I am running a IIci with the 1.2G tarballs, an apple 8-bit video card

I had the same problem trying to set up a color X environment for my
internal video test kernels. It looks like the X servers of yore
don't like the new X distributions. The newest ones use a XFree86
based distribution..

I'm afraid it looks like you'll have to get rid of the X distribution your
using and use the old March X distribution from macbsd.com if you want
to use color X. Hopefully color support will make it's way into the
latest X distributions soon!