Subject: Re: LocalTalk
To: Nikolai Vladychevski <niko@netspace.com.mx>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/16/1997 11:40:30
On 9/16/97 at 9:34 AM +0000, you wrote:

> Since NetBSD doesnt support IP Masq, I would compile ipfiltering to the
> kernel, but how do i connect NetBSD box to LocalTalk?

LocalTalk support isn't there yet, although we may have it within the
year... I hope!

Right now, there are really only two solutions:

1) Get Ethernet.

2) Run a serial TCP connection (like SLiRP) between one Mac and the NetBSD
box, and then use a software terminal server to convert between ADSP and
TCP connections. I don't think they sell this any more, but there's an
ancient application called VersaTermServer that does this. If you can't
find some place that stocks it, I'll help you find it. (This is the setup I
use.)

Caveat: I've never managed to get SLiRP sessions going to Macs coming
through the terminal server. Part of the problem is that you'd need to make
your LAP talk to a non-standard serial port, and right now the only program
that does this (from Stalker software) is stuck with a one-minute limit in
demo mode. That, added to the fact that I haven't been able to debug the
connection within the one minute allotted, has kept me from even
considering getting the full version. (For some reason, connections through
this kluge can flake out at times, even though both ADSP and TCP are
supposedly end-to-end reliable.) Anyway, even though getting TCP to the
remote Macs seems difficult, you can still get pretty snappy command-line
sessions going, so if you don't mind accessing the net through a Unix
shell, you can run lynx, irc, telnet, talk, and all that good stuff
directly from your NetBSD box.

The best solution would be LocalTalk support, but we must wait... :)

Later...

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
     www.webtrek.com/mason   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();